Friday, June 11, 2010

Coconut Bread

I love banana breads, zucchini breads and similar things so I thought this sounded really good.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees; grease and flour a 9" x 5" loaf pan.  I used 4 small mini-loaf pans since I like to freeze them for later or give them away.

2 and 1/2 cups All Purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup and 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar (original recipe lists caster sugar; I just used granulated)
2 cups sweetened or unsweetened flaked coconut
2 eggs
1 and 1/4 cups milk (I used 2%)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup butter, melted (I used light to make it a bit healthier)
In a large mixing bowl (don't use a mixer), whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, cinnamon, and coconut
In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk, and vanilla extract.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the egg mixture.
Stir just until combined and a few streak of flour remain.
Add in the melted butter and stir just until smooth. Don't over mix.
Pour into loaf pan.  Bake for about 60 minutes (my loaves took maybe 50 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  With my mini-loaves it took about 40 minutes but just keep an eye out.
 
This was super yummy!!  Next time I make this I want to try it with almond extract instead of vanilla.
 
If I calculated the points right the whole thing is 63 points (half of it is from the coconut)  When I divided it into my four loaves that made each loaf about 15 points.  I usually cut them into about 8 slices so about 2 pts. a slice. So all in all about the same as if you were to eat most cookies. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment