Monday, January 3, 2011

Chicken sweet potato soup

If you are anything like me, you probably overindulged during the holidays and now your clothes are paying for it.  I need to find me some nice filling food that is healthy so that is my goal for the next little while. 



CHICKEN SWEET POTATO SOUP

Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total preparation time: 40 minutes
Makes 9 cups
  • 2-1/2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 1 cup chopped celery (2 ribs)
  • 1 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup water
  • 14 ounces canned chicken broth (i did 3 cubes of chicken bouillon with 14 oz. water)
  • 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme
  • 1/16 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
  • 2 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey (leftover or pre-cooked)
  • 6 slices turkey bacon, cooked, crumbled (optional)
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 cups skim milk
Combine sweet potatoes, celery, onion, garlic, water and broth in a pot. Add marjoram, thyme and cayenne pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a slow boil and cook about 15 minutes until sweet potatoes are fully cooked. Stir in chicken, bacon and peas. Combine cornstarch and milk in a small dish, then stir it slowly into the soup mixture. Cook until thick and bubbly, about 5 minutes.  
To add extra flavor to the chicken, cook the turkey bacon first and the cook the chicken in the same pan.  The bacon doesn't have grease but it adds a nice flavor.
The total points for this is around 35 points, and I think it makes at least 8 servings, probably more if you do smaller ones.  So that means it can be 4 points or less per serving.  This is chock full of veggies so it will fill you up.  And since veggies are low cal/no points, feel free too add more =)

1 comment:

  1. Love it!! I am looking for healthy recipes. After the holidays my waistline is telling me I must cut back. Thanks for a good recipe. I can't wait to try it out!!

    ReplyDelete