Thursday, May 1, 2014

Dinner Rolls



I love homemade rolls!    There really isn't anything that tastes as wonderful as a roll still warm from the oven with some butter melting on it....except chocolate.....that beats everything.  Since most the time I cook dinner spur of the moment (I have tried planning my meals and I am never in the mood for what I planned) I usually don't want to run to the store to grab rolls.  It is much easier for me to make my own....and cheaper because I can never just go in and grab 1 thing....  So here is my go to recipe: (It can be made in the bread maker or  by hand)

Ingredients:
2 3/4 c. bread flour (if by hand you can use regular flour)
2 tsp. yeast
1tsp. salt
2 tbsp. sugar
3/4- 7/8 c. milk
1/4c. warm water
1 egg
1/4 c. butter


Bread machine instructions:  Have all ingredients room temperature.  Put liquid ingredients in first, and the do the dry, making a little well in the flour for the yeast.  Select the "dough" setting on the machine and let it do it's thing.  when it is done, shape the dough into balls and let rise until double and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.  When they are finished, brush the tops with butter.  This will make about 12-18 rolls depending on how big you make them.

By hand: (the way I prefer)  Warm your milk to between 110-115 degrees and add 1 tbsp. sugar and the yeast (stir to combine) and let it foam up.  While that is foaming, combine all the dry ingredients, then mix in egg, butter and water.  I use my Kitchenaid with the dough attachment   Then add in your yeast mixture and let it knead until well-combined.  If you need more flour, add more.  If the dough is too dry, add more milk.  The dough should be slightly stick but not sticking to the bowl while mixing.  The amount of flour can vary each time you make it.  Sometimes I have to add more milk, sometimes more flour....it depends on the weather.  Knead the dough for about 5 minutes.  Then spray a bowl with non-stick spray (can use the same bowl you mixed it in) and cover and let rise until doubled, about an hour.  I like to set my oven on warm, place a hand towel on a cookie sheet, and put the bowl on the sheet in the oven.  It cuts rising time in half.  Once it has risen, shape into balls and let rise until double and bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until they are golden brown.  I like to use my Pampered Chef brownie pan or a muffin tin to cook them so I don't have to worry about tearing rolls apart.



No comments:

Post a Comment