Sunday, July 18, 2010

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins


One of my favorite foods in the world is banana bread with chocolate chips so I wanted to do some muffins for breakfast.  Yum!

1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 c. sugar
1 egg
2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c. applesauce
3 bananas, mashed
1 tsp baking soda
chocolate chips (optional)

preheat oven 325 degrees.  generously spray muffin tins with cooking spray.

Combine all the ingredients and spoon into muffin tins.  fill about 3/4 full. 
Bake for about 20-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

My batch yielded 12 muffins and then 4 mini-loaves.  I calculated the total point value of recipe to be about 38.  I think the mini-loaves are equivalent to about 2 muffins so each muffin would about 2 points and the mini-loaves about 4 points each.  These turned out really good.  My kids loved them for breakfast (and so did I, I  already ate 2 1/2 muffins)  If you don't add the chocolate chips I would add 1/4 more of brown sugar and a little more cinnamon.  Feel free to add whatever you want: coconut, walnuts, pecans, almonds, white chocoalte chips, raisens, etc.
One other great thing about these, is that they freeze really well!  So you don't have to eat it all in one day.  Eat a few and throw the rest in the freezer.  Next time I am going to make a bunch of mini-muffins for a nice little snack for the kids in the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment