Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Easy Lemon Meringue Pie


  • So, the morning of Thanksgiving, I decided I wanted to do another pie.  As I started looking up recipes, most of them either took too long or had to be refrigerated overnight.  I didn't want to do a peanut butter or chocolate one.  Then I started browsing around and found a lemon meringue pie.  It looked pretty easy and I thought, why not give it a whirl?  Of course I changed things.....

  • 1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust ( I make my own)
  • 2/3 cup lemon juice
  • 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 3 eggs, separated
  • 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 6 tablespoons white sugar

  • Blend sweetened condensed milk and egg yolks together.



  •  Gradually add lemon juice, stirring until mixture thickens and is well blended.

  •  Pour filling into crust.


  • In another bowl, beat room temperature egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy. 




  • Gradually add sugar, and continue beating until egg whites are stiff. Carefully spread meringue over filling, sealing the edges.


  • Bake at 350 degrees F (205 degrees C) until meringue browns, about 10 minutes, or until the top starts to brown. Cool. 



Refrigerate to let it set up.  If you are short on time, you can throw it in the freezer.  Refrigerate uneaten portions.

Pie Crust

Smash about 12 sheets of graham crackers until finely crushed.  Melt 4-5 tablespoons of butter.  Blend into crumbs, 1 tablespoons at a time, until moistened.  Press into bottom of pie tin and up the side.  Bale at 350 degrees for approximately 12-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment