Monday, February 6, 2012

Apple Dumpling Hand Pie

My hubby asked me if he could take some treats to work and he had a craving from some apple dumplings. Well, being the nice wife that I am, I made some.  But as I was perusing recipes, all of them were either for a full apple or using crescent rolls (and we already have a good recipe for those so I wanted something different).  So I decided to do my own =)  I have to admit, this was one of the first times that I made up my own recipe.  Usually I find a recipe and then tweak it.  I was pleased with the results.  there are some changes I will make next I make them though =)

Pie Crust (or you could take the shortcut route and use a store bought)
2 2/3c. four
1/8 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. shortening
2/3 + 1/8 c. butter
1/2 c. ice water (you won't use it all)

Mix flour, sugar, and salt.  Add shortening and butter.  Mix with fork or pastry blender until dough is crumbly.  Add ice water 1 tbsp. at a time.  The dough should remain slightly flaky.  Refrigerate it until ready to use.

Apple filling:
3 Granny smith apples, peeled, cored, cubed.
2/3 c brown sugar
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Combine in a bowl.  Set aside.


Topping:
1 c. butter (may need more), melted
1 c. white sugar
1 tbsp. cinnamon

Combine cinnamon and sugar.

Roll out pie crust and cut 3-in circles.  I got about 36 circles, with a bit of dough left over.

 Dip half the circles in butter and then dip in the cinnamon sugar mixture.










Place on baking sheet.  Place about 2 tsp. of the apple pie filling on each circle.

Dip the remaining circles in butter and the cinnamon sugar mix and place over top of the apples.  Seal the edges.


Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 12 minutes.

(Sorry the picture's not better, but believe me, it is super yummy inside!)

I did mine in 2 batches so I didn't have the crust sitting out the whole time.  I did 9 at a time on a baking sheet.  The next time I make them, I think I am going to make my apple pieces smaller.  I just cubed them but I really think they need to be almost minced (can you mince an apple?  oh well =)  )  The crust is super yummy and flaky.  Don't be alarmed that there are juices running out when it is baking.  If you want, you could probably bake them in a 9x13 pan and save the juices and use them as a drizzle (yum!).


No comments:

Post a Comment