Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Homemade Granola

I have recently rediscovered granola.  I've eaten it before, here and there, but lately I have been craving it!  I have loved putting it in yogurt, and eating it as cereal.  I'm not the only one that's been eating it too, the whole family likes it. I had a few bags of granola that were given to me and I'm on the last bag.  I didn't want to go buy some at teh store because it's a bit pricey.  so I figured I would do what I usually do when I don't want to pay full price- make it myself.  As I looked up recipes, there are a ton out there!  But I just wanted something simple since I didn't want any bran, flax seed, wheat germ, sesame seeds, etc.  I know that stuff is probably good for you, but I'm not a bird, I don't want a lot of seeds.  I found a couple recipes I liked and did my usual thing of taking what I like from each and combining it into the one I use.  I love that this is just a plain simple one and it is easy to add whatever you want.  I can't wait to try my own variations of different fruits, nuts and maybe even some chocolate chips.  Yum!!



2 c. old fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
1 c. coconut (unsweetened or sweetend, it doesn't matter)
2/3 c. sliced almonds
2 tbs. butter- melted
2 tbsp honey
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
 1/4 tsp cinnamon

(This is how it will look before it is cooked)
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir until well mixed.  You may need to use your hands. Spread granola in a jelly-roll or cokkie sheet.  Bake for 45-minutes, stiring every 10-15 minutes.  Store in an airtight container or ziploc back.  Will last 1 week at room temperature or longer if stored in the friege.  May be frozen for 3 months.



No comments:

Post a Comment