Thursday, July 21, 2011

Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream


What is more satisfying on a hot summer day than a nice cold bowl of ice cream?  I can't think of much.  I got an ice cream maker for Mother's Day and have been loving it! 

 It's so nice to be able to throw some stuff in it and approximately 30-45 minutes later, have some fresh ice cream.  Especially since it's a lot cheaper to make your own than go to the store.  Plus, you don't have to worry about weird things getting added in....unless you add the weird things yourself =)  I had some strawberries that were starting to go mushy and I needed to use them quick so I figured the kids would love a nice treat, and I'm always in the mood for ice cream.

2 cups milk

2 cups heavy cream or whipping cream
1 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tsp strawberry extract (optional)
2 cups mashed fresh strawberries

In a bowl, combine all the ingredients.  Pour into ice cream maker and freeze according to the directions of your ice cream maker.  Easy!!!

This makes it nice and thick.  Love it!  I used 1 % milk and it was just fine, but I'm sure it would be a bit creamier with whole milk.  If you want, you could use all milk and it just wouldn't be as creamy, if you're watching what you're eating.  If you want lots of big pieces of strawberries, leave some chunks, but I recommend most of it being mashed or cut into smaller pieces so you get lots of flavor in it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment