Friday, January 27, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies

What happens when cookie dough meets brownie?  The ULTIMATE dessert!  I found this wonderful recipe while cruising the world of pinterest.  I knew immediately that I had to try it.  Then when I showed my hubby the picture, he was all for it!  I think the first time I saw the picture, I had to change into sweatpants because I immediately gained 5 pounds just thinking about it.  

I will admit, I was a bit hesitant when I first read the recipe because it seemed like something was missing in the brownie recipe.  There was no baking soda or powder.  But the reviews were all glowing so I decided to go for it anyway.  I figured with so many eggs that that would take the place of those anyway.  
BROWNIE:
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup butter, at room temperature
2 cups light brown sugar, packed
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
COOKIE DOUGH (EGG FREE!):
3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
3 Tablespoons milk (may need more or less if dough is too crumble or sticky)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

1/2 cup semisweet chips + 1 teaspoon shortening for drizzle, optional

Make the brownies first:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 9x13-inch pan with nonstick spray. In a bowl, melt chocolate and 1/4 c. butter in the microwave in short bursts of 30 seconds; stir after each burst and remove from microwave when melted and smooth. Set aside to cool slightly. 
In a large mixing bowl, mix butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer. Beat in eggs and vanilla extract. Mix in melted chocolate. Blend in flour and mix just until combined (don't over-mix). Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake 25 to 35 minutes. Watch closely and remove from oven when toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely. You can put them in the fridge or freezer once the pan cools slightly.

While the brownies are cooling, make the cookie dough.  Combine butter, brown sugar and white sugar. Mix in milk and vanilla. Mix in flour just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.  If your dough is too crumbly, add in more milk, 1 tsp at a time. And if you are like me and love to eat cookie dough, feel free because there are no eggs!! (not that has ever stopped me before....I am addicted to licking beaters and bowls)
Spread cookie dough over the cooled brownies. I used my hands to pat it down.  Refrigerate until the dough is quite firm. It's okay to speed up the process and place it in the freezer too. 

If you'd like to add chocolate drizzle on top, melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips with 1 teaspoon of shortening in the microwave; stir until smooth. Scoop the melted chocolate into a zip baggie and snip off the corner. Squeeze the bag to drizzle the chocolate on top of each brownie. Sprinkle additional chocolate chips on top, if desired.

I would recommend serving these in bit sized squares.  If you cut them into about 1-inch squares they fit perfect in mini cupcake liners. They are very sweet and rich.  I am usually one who can sit down and eat a whole batch of cookies in one sitting, and one or 2 bites of this and I was done.  These are prefect to take as a treat for a luncheon, party, get together, or whatever you'd like. I will be taking these to my lovely grandma's 80th birthday party tomorrow =)


1 comment: