Monday, July 16, 2012

Cheesy Hamburger Casserole

Do you ever have those nights that you don't feel like cooking but your family is starving to death and they are sick of frozen pizza because that's what you've made lately?  That was me today.  I haven't been in the mood to cook much lately.  by the time dinnertime rolls around I am drained and the heat doesn't help.  So I threw this together one night and it turned out to be a big hit!

I didn't get a better picture because by the time I remembered to take it, it was already mostly eaten.....but it was super good!!!


1 lb. hamburger
1 can (14 oz) tomatoes
1 sm. can tomato paste
1 c. cheddar cheese, separated to 1/2 c portions
1/2 c. mozzarella or Monterrey cheese
8 oz noodles
seasonings to taste (Italian seasonings, onion powder, garlic salt/powder, etc)

Brown you hamburger and drain the grease.  Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to the package directions.  Take your can of tomatoes and puree in a blender or a food processor.  Add to the hamburger.  Add the can of tomato paste and mix well.  Add whatever seasonings you like, to taste.  I added about (measurements not exact because I didn't measure =)  ) 2 tbsp of Italian seasonings, 1 tsp garlic powder, a pinch of salt, 1 tsp of onion powder. Let this simmer for a few minutes.  Once the noodles are done, strain them and then add to the tomato hamburger mix.  mix well, and add 1/2 c. cheddar cheese.  Pour into a baking dish.  I used a 7x11 dish, but you could separate it it into 2 9x9 dishes or a 9x13 dish (if you want to use those I would cook a little bit more noodles so it has a bit more to it)
Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheddar and mozzarella cheese.  Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until cheese is all melted and it is warmed through.  Broil for 2 minutes to get the cheese a bit brown and crispy.  Once it's finished, let it sit for a few then dish up and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment