Friday, March 23, 2012

Banana Oat Streusel Muffins

I had some bananas sitting on my counter....nice and black and mushy....just waiting to be made into something yummy.  I know that my banana bread is usually pretty good, and I have a good banana oatmeal cookie recipe....but I wasn't in the mood for those.  Then one of my friends said she was looking for good muffin recipes so I figured I would make some banana muffins.I didn't want them like banana bread though.  I actually made the batter and baked a dozen muffins and then decided it was lacking.  I then added some more stuff to it and then I was very happy with them.  They are nice and sweet, but not cupcake sweet. 

These are great for a snack and also for breakfast.  There are also great to freeze. 



Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (can use 3/4 cup wheat flour and 3/4 cup white flour)
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk (or milk)
  • 1/3 cup yogurt (originally it was oil but I wanted it a bit healthier.....)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 mashed bananas
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp cinnamon


  • Directions
  • Combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, soda, and salt. In a large bowl, beat the egg lightly. Stir in the milk, yogurt, and vanilla. Add the mashed banana, and combine thoroughly. Stir the flour mixture into the banana mixture until just combined. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake/muffin liners.  Spray with non-stick spray (it helps them come out of the liners better). Put about 3 tbsp of batter into each one. 

  • For streusel topping, mix 1/2 c. Brown Sugar, 2 Tbsp. Flour, 1/4 tsp. Cinnamon, and 1 Tbsp. Softened butter. Sprinkle over the muffins in the pan before baking.
  • Bake at 375 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 18 to 20 minutes.   It yields 18-24 muffins....depending on how much you fill the cups.  It made 24 for me but mine were overflowing and had no "muffin-tops.


  •                                                      



No comments:

Post a Comment