Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Southwest Chicken Wraps

I found this recipe while ago and have been wanting to try it. I wasn't in the mood to cook something big and I wanted something light and somewhat healthy.  I loved this. It was pretty easy to put together and the best part......everyone liked it! Even my picky eater. This kinda reminded me of something from Cafe Rio (I think it was the lime cilantro rice).  This is a great dish for the coming summer to because the chicken could easily be grilled if you are ambitious and cook and shred and freeze your chicken ahead of time, that would make it easier.  Also, this freeze great so if you make a big batch just freeze them and you can take ones  out later for lunch :-)



Southwest Chicken Wrap
2 chicken breast halves, cooked and shredded
1/2 green pepper (you could use any kind)
1 green onion, chopped
juice of 1 lime ( 2-3tbsp of lime juice)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 tbsp chili powder ( use less or more depending on how spicy you like it)
1 tbsp cumin
1/2 tbsp. garlic salt
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cup cooked white rice.
2cups shredded cheese ( whatever flavor, I uses cheddar)
burrito sized tortillas
Combine rice, beans, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, garlic salt, and green onion.  Meanwhile, saute the pepper and add the chicken.  In a tortilla add some of the rice bean mix, then add the chicken.  Sprinkle cheese on top.


Roll up the tortilla.  Spray with non-stick spray and lightly brown all sides in a skillet.  Then serve and enjoy!


Here's a few tips:  Instead of dipping in sour cream, I put a layer of sour cream on teh tortilla, then did my rice and chicken.  Also, I sprayed one side of the tortilla with non-stick spray and then flipped it over and did my fillings.  It made it so much easier to cook.



My hubby suggested that it would be really good with the tomatillo cilantro ranch to dip it in.  I agree and next time I make these, I will make that too =)  And I may possible add some green chilies in with the rice as well......

No comments:

Post a Comment