Friday, March 16, 2012

Rainbow Swirl Sugar Cookies

I found this idea originally for Dr. Seuss cookies.  They really do look like treats that they would serve down in Whoville =)  And they taste fantabulous too.  They are super easy.....but a bit time consuming.  they make a fun activity to do with little kitchen helpers too =)



What you need:
your favorite sugar cookie recipe (i'll put mine at the end)
sprinkles, 2 bottles (if you do the full batch of my cookies)
food coloring

Separate your cookie dough into 4-6 bowls.  I only did 4 because I only wanted 4 colors, but do as many as you want.  In each bowl, color your cookie dough.  Then roll each color into grape sized balls.



Then take one ball of each color and roll it into a ball (don't over mix the colors or you get a brown mess.....that's what my 3 -year old's cookies ended up like =)  )

 Then roll it into a log (snake) about 8-12 inches long.

Then roll your dough (make a snail shell) and twist the dough as you roll it.



Then dip the edges in your sprinkles.


Put them on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes-10 minutes, depending on your stove (mine did 8 and they came out perfect).  Let them cool on a cooling rack and enjoy!


Usually I have to have frosting with my sugar cookies so I was worried that they might be a little blah but with the added sprinkles it gave it a bit of extra flavor.

My kids loved helping do them.  I put my 6 year old to work rolling the balls (I had to fix quite a few =)  ) and then my 3- year old helped with dipping in the sprinkles....until he got distracted watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  I love when I can find a fun kitchen recipe/activity that the kids can do =)  But they both loved making their own "snakes and snails."  If you want to get your kids involved in the kitchen....give this a whirl =)










My favorite sugar cookie recipe:

1 1/2 c. sugar
1 c. butter or margarine (if you use margarine, make sure you chill the dough before handling)
8 oz. cream cheese
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond extract (optional, if you don't use it, use a total of 2 tsp. vanilla)
3 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

Cream sugar, butter and cream cheese.  Add in the egg and extracts.  Then add dry ingredients.  Chill for about 30 minutes- 1 hour before using or the dough will be sticky. Roll the dough out and cut it with cookie cutters (or use for the rainbow cookies above).

I usually have to add a bit of extra flour to mine when rolling it out.  I use a mixture of flour and sugar so it keeps some of the sweetness.  If you use these for roll out cookies, bake at 375 degrees for 7 minutes, depending on how thick and soft you want them.  I like mine soft, but if you like them crunchier then bake 8-10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment