Saturday, April 16, 2011

Chocolate Buttermilk Waffles

I've had this awesome buttermilk waffle recipe for awhile but I decided I wanted to change it up a bit.  I will list the original recipe.....it's definitely a keeper!  I love breakfast foods.  I especially love how filling they are (don't love how many calories they have =(  )  This buttermilk waffle recipe makes nice, light and fluffy waffles =)

Buttermilk Waffles
1 1/2 c. buttermilk or 1 1/4 c. milk + 3tbsp white vinegar- combine, and set aside for 5-10 minutes (make sure and mix)
2 c. flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp. sugar
 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 eggs, separated
4 tbsp. butter, melted,cooled
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Combine dry ingredients.  Mix in buttermilk and egg yolks.  Stir in vanilla and butter.  in separate bowl, whip egg whites until soft peaks form.  Fold into the batter.  Cook in waffle maker and enjoy!

If you don't want to take the time time to whip up the egg whites, it turns out just fine add the whole egg.  They aren't as light, but still just as good.  That's what I end up doing a lot of the time because I don't have enough time.  Also, if you let the batter sit for about 10 minutes, the soda and buttermilk have time to react and more air bubbles form resulting in  a lighter batter/waffle.

Now onto the chocolate ones =)  I kinda started throwing things together so hopefully I can remember what i did =)

Use the original recipe.  Add 3/4 c. cocoa,  1/2 c. sugar, 1/2-3/4 c more milk or buttermilk, and 1 extra tsp vanilla.  Combine.  It comes out a bit thicker so you can add more milk if needed.  Depending on how sweet and how chocolaty you like yours, you can play with the cocoa and sugar a bit more, add more, add less.  If you have any hot fudge or chocolate syrup, that would be great on these, along with a little whip cream and syrup.  Or even some strawberry jam/syrup.  Or if you are a true chocoholic, add some chocolate chips. Hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment