Sunday, April 17, 2011

Creamy Tomato Soup with Corn, Chicken and Bacon

I found this recipe on one of my favorite websites:  http://picky-palate.com/  You must look it over!  She does amazing this with cookies and whatnot.  I am blaming her for no looking so cute in my shorts from last summer =)  I found this recipe and thought it was a nice healthy recipe and a nice change to the same ol' tomato soup.  On Sunday afternoons, we love to have grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup so I wanted to change things up a bit.  This isn't her exact recipe since I had to change some stuff since my kids don't do spicy.

1/4 cup white onion
4 cloves garlic
Two 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes (I used one regular and one Italian)
2/4 can Corn
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup buttermilk ( or 1/2 c. milk + 2 tbs vinegar)
1 cup chicken broth
1 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken breast (I used a rotisserie chicken and shred it)
1 cup cooked crumbled bacon (optional or you can use turkey bacon to cut a lot of fat)
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
Bread bowls if desired



1. Place onion, garlic and tomatoes into a food processor or blender. Pulse until smooth. Transfer to a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add corn, stirring to combine then add salt, and pepper, stirring again to combine. Stir in buttermilk, Parmesan, chicken broth, chicken and bacon pieces until combined. Reduce heat to low until ready to serve. Serve inside hollowed out bread bowls if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment