Sunday, October 30, 2011

Chicken Pesto

I am doing this diet with some friends this month, it's called Game On!  The main thing is watching portion size and avoiding sweets, sugars, and those type of things.  I was trying to find some recipes that I could make for my family for dinner that we all could enjoy.  My hubby doesn't like "healthy food" so it can be a bit of a challenge.  I have been craving something with pesto so I decided to see what I could throw together.  I  think it was a hit.  The hubby ate 2 plates of it (he even wanted to eat the leftovers the next day) and my daughter ate 2 servings as well.  I liked it because it wasn't heavy, yet it was filling.  Pair it with a salad and some rolls and you've got a great meal on your hands.


1 c. pesto (either make your own or use the packet)
1/2 onion diced
2 chicken breast halves
10 oz. pasta (whatever kind you would like)
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, grated (I used the Kraft  in the bottle)
1 c. fresh spinach, chopped
1 tbsp. oil
poultry seasonings (to taste)
garlic (to taste)

Prepare the pasta according to package directions.  Prepare pesto.  For a creamy pesto, use a bit of milk or cream instead of water.

In a skillet, add oil and chicken.  I added a dash of garlic and poultry seasonings, but those are optional. When the chicken is almost done, cut into cubes, or chunks and add onions and spinach.

Cook until onions are soft.  In a large bowl, combine pesto, pasta, and chicken.  Mix until well covered.  This could be served either warm or cold.


No comments:

Post a Comment